Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Release Day Review: Blood Guard by Megan Erickson


34444705Blood Guard
(Mission #1)
Megan Erickson
Release: September 12, 2017
Goodreads Amazon
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley
Enter a world of immortal danger and desire—and discover an incredible fate borne of blood.

Tendra: One minute, I’m a bartender in gritty Mission City; the next, I’m whisked away by a vampire named Athan who tells me that I’m the lifeblood of his clan. It sounds unbelievable, but he’s got evidence I can’t deny. Turns out, Athan belongs to an underground society of vampires who feed only on humans with their consent. Their enemies have no such qualms, and they want me dead. The only thing standing in their way is strong, sexy Athan. And the closer we get, the more tempted I am to let Athan feed. . . .

Athan: How could I have known when I snatched this snarky, beautiful human off the streets that she would change my destiny? As a loyal soldier, I must deliver Tendra to our future king—my brother. Empowered with the blood of ten generations of the Gregorie breed, she is fated to rule as our queen. But there’s something between us that’s so intoxicating, so carnal, I can’t help wanting Tendra for myself . . . even if it’s treason.
Review:

Have you noticed how many romances start with the hero kidnapping the heroine? What's up with that? It's not my favorite trope, though not a deal breaker necessarily. I know it is for some people though. In this case she doesn't stay kidnapped for long. Once Tendra learns about the prophesy and her family connection to the vampire clan, she goes along with Athan's plan.

I love a road trip story, which is essentially what Blood Guard is, with Athan and Tendra travelling across the city of Mission and through underground passages to get to the clan stronghold while avoiding rival vampire clans and hired assassins. How they manage to take a week to get across New Jersey I have no idea, but I enjoyed the journey.

I liked Tendra (except for her name, which bugs me) and the fact that she could hold her own in a fight with a vampire. But I wanted to learn more about her ancestors and their connection to the vampires and the prophesy. There's a scene where Tendra learns about her many-great grandmother's journal and I would have liked to see her read it. I also want more of Athan's family history, though I can't get too specific without spoilers.

Megan Erickson's vampire mythos is unusual, though there's little I haven't seen before. The vampires are born as humans or dhampirs and can choose to be changed when they reach adulthood. That part, as well as the supernatural politics - one side that wants to remain hidden and one that wants to subjugate humans - remind me a little bit of the Last True Vampire series. What's a little different is the way the vampires feed by anesthetizing the humans with a gland in their wrists.

This is my first book by Erickson, who I'm more familiar with as a contemporary romance author. While it didn't blow me away, I'm interested enough to read the next Mission book and I may even check out her shifter series.

Recommended for fans of: Kate Baxter's Last True Vampire series, Larissa Ione's Moonbound Clan series

    1/2
3.5/5  stars



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...