Monday, December 28, 2015

Show Me Your . . . Gargoyles

Show Me Yours is our new discussion post where we ask for your book recommendations on a different subject each month.


I recently read my first book with a gargoyle as one of the main characters and I really enjoyed it! Did I mention that I had an obsession with Disney's Gargoyles TV series when I was a kid? I totally had a crush on Goliath so the whole time I was reading that gargoyle book, I had this image in my head:


 It also got me wanting to pick up more books with gargoyles in them. And I'm pretty open to anything. I was thinking about it and the only book other than Danielle Monsch's Stone Guardian I've read with a gargoyle in it was Patricia C. Wrede's The Enchanted Forest Chronicles. And that gargoyle doesn't really count because he was a wooden one that was mounted to a wall for all that he could talk. I'm kind of wanting more romancey books because we all want more gargoyle paranormal romances in our lives, right?


Or... maybe that's just me? The thing is I don't know where to start looking for good gargoyle books. So today I'm asking you to:
Show Me Your Favorite Gargoyle Books

We'll even show you ours to get it started.
Here are some recs from Gretl:

Heart of Stone (Negotiator Trilogy/Old Races Universe #1)Heart of Stone (Gargoyles, #1)The Gargoyle Gets His Girl (Nocturne Falls, #3)


The Negotiator Trilogy By C.E. Murphy 
When Alban, the gargoyle hero, becomes a suspect in a human murder he approaches a human attorney who gets drawn into the world of the Old Races. In Murphy's version of the gargoyle mythos Alban turns to stone during the day, leaving his human heroine unprotected. In addition to the gargoyle hero, this series has amazing supporting characters like a dragon crime boss and a pirate who's much older than she appears. This is a UF series with a strong romance plot - the same couple star in all three books.

The Gargoyles Series by Christine Warren
There are twelve stone guardians scattered throughout the world. When demons threaten humanity, the nearest one wakes to battle the evil, then returns to his sleeping stone form once the danger has passed. But their lore tells of guardians who found their true mates and lived out their lives as human. This series is more like a typical shifter PNR with fated mates, but I like the way it pits secret societies on both the light and dark sides against each other.

The Gargoyle Gets His Girl by Kristen Painter
The town of Nocturne Falls, where every day is Halloween, has a gargoyle statue in the middle of the town square. The tourists don't seem to notice that it's not always the same gargoyle. On Nick's first day as gargoyle security guard, he meets a beautiful Fae woman who accidentally binds him to her service. I thought the Fae elements were more prominent than the gargoyle ones in this book, but the history between the two races provided an interesting conflict.

I also recommend Painter's novella Queen of Hearts from the Sin City Collectors series. I really liked what she did with the gargoyle mythology in it. And I could list a few supporting gargoyles that are lots of fun and have their own novellas, like Alexandra Ivy's Levet and Beezle from the Rachel Morgan series.



What are your favorite Gargoyle books? Why do you think I should give them a chance?


If you have a genre or topic you'd like to see in a Show Me Yours post, let us know in the comments or send us a FB message.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read many books with gargoyles in them. I did love that cartoon. I watched it a lot in college. I did love Queen of Hearts and The Hollows. I'll have to check out some of your recommendations.

    To add to your list, there is a gargoyle in The Elder Races. Grym is a gargoyle. He does not have his own book yet, but maybe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read that series, but it's one that always shows up in my Amazon recs so maybe I should.

      Delete

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...