Thursday, June 25, 2015

Vicarious Vacations Volume 1: Five Fave Road Trip Stories


Sunday was the official first day of summer, which means it's that time of year when everyone is going on vacation (except me.) And it got me thinking about some of my favorite "vacation reads" (by which I mean books in which the characters go on vacation, not the ones I'm reading on vacation, since I'll be right here on my couch.)
 
 
 
Obviously there are lots of different types of vacations (none of which I'll be taking.) Theme parks, ski resorts, camping trips. I'm starting with my favorite one to read about - the road trip. I love getting to see new parts of the fictional worlds and meet all the crazy characters along the way. Here are five of my all-time favorite road trip stories.
 
 
5. Biting Cold (Chicagoland Vampires #6) by Chloe Neill
Honestly, not my favorite of the Chicagoland Vamps books, but I did love the road trip elements. Ethan and Merit are back together and working through some initial awkwardness, which is new and different. And GNOMES! Those little guys were awesome. I keep hoping they'll show up again in the series.
 
4. Hot Blooded (Jessica McClain #2) by Amanda Carlson
Jessica McClain is on a quest to save her new mate from an evil sorceress. I especially liked watching her bond with Tyler and Danny on the trip. This book also introduced Naomi who's one of my favorite characters in the series. Plus, ZOMBIE GOATS!
 
3. Heart of Steel (Iron Seas #2) by Meljean Brook
The best kind of road trip is one taken by dirigible. (Okay, yes, technically they don't travel on the road, but it's my list and I say it counts.) Yasmeen once threw Archimedes Fox off her airship - literally. So they're not exactly on the best of terms. I loved the enemies-to-lovers story! And I loved getting to see their world as they travel to Morocco in search of valuable artifacts. But the best part - they battle zombies!
 
2. Pale Demon (The Hollows #9) by Kim Harrison
When I read the blurb for this book, I thought it was the most ridiculous I'd ever heard! But I've re-read this book four times. Rachel Morgan drives across the country in order to stand trial for consorting with demons. And she brings Trent, who's on a secret quest of his own. Readers and Rachel both really start to see Trent differently on the trip. And I loved getting to see the world outside The Hollows.
 

1. Wicked as She Wants (Blud #2) by Delilah S. Dawson
Another dirigible trip -- I do love them so! This time a princess and a pianist travel across Europe (the Blud version of it) aboard a floating bordello in order to reclaim her throne. Along the way they encounter pirates, a peacock and of course, a killer unicorn. Casper was one of my favorite characters throughout the series, so I loved to see him get his HEA. But I mostly loved this book because it was so much fun!

Tell me about your favorite road trip reads in the comments. And watch for another list of vicarious vacations in July.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...