Monday, November 10, 2014

Read This F@!%ing Book (29)

Welcome to a feature I'm going to post on Mondays called:
Read This F@!%ing Book!
This is a feature for me to push my favorite reads that just aren't getting enough attention! 
I'm also opening it up to anyone who would like to guest post. Do you have a book that you just LURVED but feel like its not getting the play it deserves? Email me to let me know and I'd be THRILLED to have you post about it here! Especially if its something I haven't reviewed yet - that's even better (but not necessary)! If you're interested email me:
Goldilox3weres@hotmail.com

This week's post comes from our very own: 
Rose Red!


Read This F@!%ing Book Post 29: Jackaby by William Ritter
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20312462-jackaby?ac=1
     
(Click book cover to go to Goodreads page)

The Synopsis
Miss Rook, I am not an occultist,” Jackaby said. “I have a gift that allows me to see truth where others see the illusion--and there are many illusions. All the world’s a stage, as they say, and I seem to have the only seat in the house with a view behind the curtain.”

Newly arrived in New Fiddleham, New England, 1892, and in need of a job, Abigail Rook meets R. F. Jackaby, an investigator of the unexplained with a keen eye for the extraordinary--including the ability to see supernatural beings. Abigail has a gift for noticing ordinary but important details, which makes her perfect for the position of Jackaby’s assistant. On her first day, Abigail finds herself in the midst of a thrilling case: A serial killer is on the loose. The police are convinced it’s an ordinary villain, but Jackaby is certain it’s a nonhuman creature, whose existence the police--with the exception of a handsome young detective named Charlie Cane--deny.

Doctor Who meets Sherlock in William Ritter’s debut novel, which features a detective of the paranormal as seen through the eyes of his adventurous and intelligent assistant in a tale brimming with cheeky humor and a dose of the macabre.


Doctor Who Meets Sherlock!
This story is actually narrated by Abigail Rook, but the star of the story is R.F. Jackaby. When it comes to Jackaby, think Sherlock Holmes with all the eccentricities and strange genius of the character, but with the personality of the Tenth Doctor with a dash of Eleven thrown in. Even with the similarities, Jackaby manages to be his own unique character that is quirky and endearing while still being proud and more than a bit arrogant. He has an odd combination of encyclopedic knowledge, detachment, and the ability to see the supernatural. For me, he’s more like the Doctor than Sherlock. And he goes through several companions, not unlike the Doctor. Also, Jackaby has a way of phrasing the things he says that makes me think the Doctor is saying them. In fact, I can’t get Ten’s voice out of my head when I read the quote below for the life of me.
“Monsters are easy, Miss Rook. They’re monsters. But a monster in a suit? That’s basically just a wicked man, and a wicked man is a more dangerous thing by far.”
Of course, every decent detective needs a good assistant and that’s where Abigail comes in. Since Jackaby only notices clues that pertain to the supernatural, Abigail is useful to him because she has an eye for all of the ordinary details that he doesn’t pay attention to like mailboxes and personal belongings. I loved Abigail! She is cheeky, observant, intelligent, and no nonsense. Her personality strikes a great balance with Jackaby’s.

Intriguing Side Characters With A Hint of Romance
While there is just a touch of romance in this story, the main focus is on the platonic relationship/friendship that's building between Abigail and Jackaby. Although, from the few glimpses we got, it does look like the future romance is going to be a sweet one. This book has an intriguing cast of side characters! I couldn’t help but love them! One thing I loved about this book is that Ritter focused on building Abigail’s relationships with the other characters such as Charlie Cane, Jenny, Douglas, and Hatun and not just Jackaby alone. Although, my favorite secondary characters are definitely Jenny and Douglas!

This is a book that I'd highly recommend if you're looking for a fun, fast read that has paranormal folklore mixed with a bit of mystery! I know I'll definitely be picking up the next book in this series! I need more of Jackaby and Abigail’s adventures and investigations!
Have you read this book?
Did we persuade you to add it to your TBR mountain?
Let us know in the comments below!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...